How to prevent eDrive (Single User Mode) on Windows 8/8.1 Installation
To prevent an Opal 2 drive from being placed into eDrive mode, one of the following steps can be performed which will prevent the Windows 8 / 8.1 installer from automatically placing the drive into this mode.
Note: This is only if the drive is not already in eDrive mode. If the drive has been imaged or installed by another method without specifying these parameters, a reimage with these will not remove the drive from eDrive / Single User Mode.
- If you are using Windows 7 setup DVD, you don't have to worry about it because Windows 7 doesn't have eDrive capabilities
- If you are using WinPE 3.x, you also don't have to worry about it for the same reason as above
- If you are using WinPE 4.x, make sure you don't include the “Enhanced Storage” optional component.
- If you are using Windows 8/8.1 setup DVD / USB, you need to set a registry entry to prevent Win8/Win8.1 from enabling eDrive:
- Unzip the attached reg file to the Windows setup USB (if using DVD put the reg file onto a different USB drive)
- Boot Win 8 / 8.1 setup DVD / USB
- Press shift-F10 to launch command prompt
- Navigate to the location of the reg file in step 1
- Type block_eDrive_auto_enable.reg and hit enter
- If prompted choose yes to import the registry file
Close the command prompt and continue with Win8 / 8.1 setup as you normally would
NOTE: This registry setting is not permanently applied to the setup DVD/USB. The next time you use this same setup DVD/USB you will need to apply the registry setting again.
If you are using an image from another machine, ensure that the image being applied was created with the TCGSecurityActivationDisabled option disabled
- To ensure this is set properly you can import the attached reg file to the original machine before taking the image